Monday, June 2, 2008

Saturday

Saturday was safari day! We woke up at 4:30am and rode a charter bus up to the safari grounds. Here we froze our behinds off, but saw lions, giraffes, rhinos, and cheetah. It really was an awesome experience. The cold, however, put me in a crabby mood, especially since African safaris are stereotypically warm. The experience overall was remarkable as I was literally just a few feet way from these animals. That evening we went out to a really nice traditional African restaurant. Although I ordered a coke light, a zuccini, red pepper and spinach pasta dish, and a brandy tart, I did sample other people’s ostrich, springbok, and alligator. I’m not a fan and will continue to stick with my trusted chicken.

That evening we went out on the town, sampling Long Street’s pubs and clubs. We met up with Ajith, a grad student who has been showing us around, and a few of his friends. It really was interesting comparing and contrasting the night life in South Africa and that of the US. Overall, I was just glad that all 17 of us made it home together at the end of the night.

No comments: